Task 1: Summarise what you believe the Muslim attitude to women is…
Task 2: Create a table using the information below. You should summarise the information into three bullet points on each side.
Traditional Muslim attitude towards women:
- Men & women should have different roles in life & religion.
- Role of women: create halal home, bring children up as good Muslims.
- Role of men: provide for family by working, Worship Allah in mosque with sons.
- Because…Qur’an teaches men should support women as they are stronger.
- Qur’an teaches women created to bear children.
- Qur’an teaches women should only inherit half what a man inherits showing men need more money to provide for family.
Modern Muslim attitude towards women:
- Men & women should have completely equal roles in religion & education.
- Women should have careers but their role as mother should take priority.
- Some would accept women leaders.
- Because…Qur’an teaches men & women are equal in religion and education.
- Muhammad encouraged both men & women to worship in the mosque.
- There were women leaders during early stages of Islam.
- Reference to Kahdijah/Aisha (The Prophet’s wife Aisha and his daughters were considered great scholars of Islam. She had an important role in early Islamic history. She memorised the Qur’an off by heart & understood it. The Prophet’s first wife Khadijah was a successful businesswoman who in fact proposed marriage to him.)
“I shall not lose sight of the efforts of any of you who work in my way, be it man or woman; each of you is from the other”(Qur’an 3:195)
Task 3: Use the quote above to answer the question:
Explain two Muslim views on gender equality. Use sacred writings to support your answer. (5)